Monday, January 29, 2007

How many different products in a grocery store?

Yesterday when we were at Publix, Emma asked me how many different products a grocery store would stock. Oddly enough, I happened across the answer while reading a news article today:

Richard A. Galanti, Costco’s chief financial officer, said that while a grocery store might stock 40,000 separate types of items, and a Wal-Mart might stock 100,000, Costco will stock only the 4,000 most popular items it can find.


So I guess that answers the question!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy cow! That's funny.
I am glad you were able to answer that question for me! I was EXTREMELY CURIOUS. And now I can tell ethan too...

ConnieMom said...

It was a funny coincidence. I remember, I said I thought there was "Probably 100,000" different products. Then I said, "Oh probably less than that" and I thought 50,000. So I wasn't too far off. In a way.