Sunday, April 29, 2007

My First Task as Editor

Wow. Sorry, I just have to get this off my chest.
Apparently, my first job as editor is going to be firing someone over plagiarizing. Yippie.
Unfortunately, he's plagiarized indirectly before. But the last editor who discovered it let him go. I just don't think I can. I mean, he mentioned his sources name, but said that the original author just "outlined" the concept and that he was going to take some of the same Bible verses that the original author used as examples. But really, he just changed the words of the original author's ideas and re-wrote the guy's work completely. -_-!
This is why you shouldn't home school your kids. They just don't get it.

7 comments:

DaddyMike said...

Damn - I don't envy you. Good luck Twila. Still, you might be doing him a favor. Better to find out now in the relatively "safe" environment of a university then out in the world where you can really get yourself into trouble.

Unknown said...

Ooo who is it? Do I know them? That does suck though. :(

ConnieMom said...

So you saw "Shattered Glass" didn't you? Maybe you can just give the guy a copy of it and tell him "If the shoe fits..."

Twila said...

Well, I'm worried he would do it in some of his classes which are grounds for expulsion. I did see "Shattered Glass" and I'm probably going to issue a formal apology the way he did. I mean, it wasn't the first time this has happened with him. -_-
I've complained about him a lot, too, but I do like him as a person. I just hope that he won't think it's a personal attack on him. He's a bit backward about stuff at times...
Emma, you might know him, but I'll tell you that in person. ^^; I don't want to use his name here since it's a bit unique.

ConnieMom said...

I'm not sure you should print an apology. You probably don't want to humliate the guy.

And remember, the guy in "Shattered Glass" didn't plagiarize --- he out and out made things up and said they were true.

So don't be too hard on the kid; but you do have to get him the message that it's NOT okay.

Kacie said...

whoa that sucks. Im sorry!1

Twila said...

That's a good point mom. I wasn't really thinking about that. I think I'll ask our adviser about it.