Friday, December 01, 2006

Georgia Tech: Not So Subtle

So, in mid October, I received a letter from Georgia Tech. Seems they wanted me to buy a care package for Emma during finals week. Well, it sounded like a nice idea anyway, but they really put the hammer down! Talk about a guilt-trip! Here is the actual text of the letter:

Subject: Send A Care Package To Help Your Student Through Finals

Two students showed up to get their Care Packages. One beamed when she received her package. The other, whose family had not reserved a package, immediately used her cell phone and called Mom with a plaintive "You didn't send me a Care Package?"

Because so many students receive Care Packages during exam time, it can hurt if a student is left out...
...
A Care Package is tangible proof that the people students count on are thinking of them at exam time. It makes them feel supported, not alone.
...
If you've sent one before, you already know how much it helped. If you haven't, you can be sure your student will appreciate receiving the same kind of support other classmates receive.

Now that's talent. Well you can bet I ran to my desk and whipped out my checkbook that very day. Fortunately, they had a vegan-friendly Fruit Basket Pack or I would have been in a real pickle.

Emma got her care package today and says it's really nice. I'm glad. So if she bombs her Calc II final, at least it won't be my fault!!!!

3 comments:

Twila said...

I hope I can write those letters one day... ^.^

(Korey wants to know what exactly a care package is: "a pack of yellow jackets"? -_-)

Unknown said...

are you serious about the Korey wanting to know what a care package is? ... it is a bunch of snacks. and in my case fruit too.

and mom...please don't talk about me bombing my calc final! That's not funny!

Twila said...

I think he was more mad that people actually got care packages. He wanted to know where care packages were in the "real world".... -_-