Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I'm learning to use a compass!

So, I have been meaning to post more old family pictures but at the moment I am at my desk at work.
I wanted to post a few pictures that I took on some job sites last week. Maybe it will give everyone a better idea what I do.

See the pink flag in this picture? Basically when I am in the field go around placing these pink flags in the ground to tell the drillers where to take soil samples. And usually I have to be within a few feet of where the spot was marked on a map. Sometimes, when you are in the middle of a field, it is very hard to find anything to reference to tell you where you are and/or how far you have to go.


Here is a nice view of another area on that same site in Calhoun. I didn't like having to go inside the abandoned chicken houses.


This is a picture of the woods in Buford that I spent all of my friday stomping through. If it is hard to locate a spot in the middle of a field, it is 100 times harder to find a specific dot on a map in a forest. Anyone who was around on Friday got to see the cuts on my arms. But I didn't get bitten by any ticks (even though there was one on both me and Marty) and only came in close contact with one snake so I think I was pretty lucky.



On this site, while marking the spots for holes, I also had to direct a bulldozer through the woods. Here you can see the trail (and the raindrops on the lense and doofy Marty). The bulldozer wasn't very expereinced and at one point his key even broke off in the ignition of the dozer.

After doing all that I have to put together driving directions for the drillers to get to the site, and make up maps, and look at the samples once they are drilled...etc, etc.

That is most of my excitment! Like mom said I am planning the trip to Bonnaroo on Thursday. I have to pack 4 days worth of food/snacks for me and two boys. But I get to see the Police! It will be awesome.

Stay tuned for family pics sometime later today...

1 comment: