Thursday, March 06, 2008

Twila posts again!

Sounds like things are going better now!

Much better!

The trip to Rome has been AMAZING since the first day. Today, we mostly had time to ourselves. We got up at the usual time and headed over to see some more churches. We've seen a lot of churches, but they're all churches I've seen in Art History so it is really amazing. Plus, it's like going to a museum, there is so much art in them!
Then we had time to ourselves. Some of us headed over to the Vatican Museum. There, we changed over money and I bought a rosary for a friend. Then, David and Jason and I decided to strike out on our own while John, Lina, Readi, and Fengwei went to the Sistine Chapel and Sam and Tiffany went to the St. Peter's for gifts. Unfortunately due to my wonderful coordination abilities, David, Jason, and I had to walk all the way around the Vatican. In the rain. I swear it looked like the shorter method, but let me tell you - it wasn't!!! -_-
Eventually we got out to the courtyard of St. Peter's where we were supposed to meet Sam and Tiffany, but they were no where to be seen. (Probably because we were so far off course that it took us longer than they cared to wait.) So we decided to head over to the Spanish Steps and get lunch.
The Spanish Steps was a bit of a disappointment. You couldn't see them very well from the angle at the bottom and since it was rainy they just seemed rather deary. However, we did end up finding most of our party again there.
We got to eat lunch, and then Jason, David and I did some shopping. I got Korey some gifts, and they got some leather items. This was in the high-end section of town, though, complete with Armani and the like, so everything was very pricey! I was content with my purchase, though I saw many pairs of expensive shoes I'd love to have!!! =)
It's interesting how much more expensive things are here. Before you purchase anything, you have to consider that you have to add half of your purchase price to the amount you're spending in order to get the American $$ amount. Therefore, when you see something for 30 euros, you have to remember it's actually $45. I wish the dollar wasn't so weak. =(
We also saw some more churches afterwards and the museum recently completed by Richard Myer in 2006. (He also did the new branch of the High Museum, but I thought this work was much better.)
So far this trip has really been an eye opening experience. There are so many things different. No only big things like the language and public transit system and the thousands of little Smart Cars, but little things like the toilets and the way you leave your key card in the hotel lobby and how wireless internet isn't free everywhere.
And let me tell you something, if you thought Georgian's were bad drivers.... well, you have another thing coming!!! I think Korey'd like to have a heart attack if he saw me cross the street like I do. (Not to mention my mother!!!)
Overall though you never really feel alone like I was afraid you would because we always have people here from the school. I worried it'd feel like another world with the language barrier. But really, you get by.
I just wish we had more time!!

0 comments Links to this post

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ethan said it is his turn to post on the blog tonight! So..yeah.

Oh and he said that Twila didn't even bring a jacket! Hehe...but apparently she bought one on the 4th day.

ConnieMom said...

That's funny! Poor Twi! she said she was going to bring a rain poncho. But I also know she was pretty stressed out those last days before leaving.

Twila said...

Don't make me sound like a total idiot! I did bring a coat! =) It was just too heavy to wear around. It was either burning up or freezing in Rome depending on how much sun you have in the sky, so it was risky either way. =/

Unknown said...

I see what you are saying. Yeah, when he got back he was showing me pics and I saw one with you in a coat. I was like, "She did have a coat!!!"

He would understand the argument about not carrying it around b/c he sweats like a beast. Maybe he was just confused...(that happens)